Work Permit

A work permit is a permission that a foreign national generally needs to work in Canada. There are certain occupations that do not require a permit to work in Canada.

Working in Canada

Canada’s economy is growing and has shortage of skilled work force. Each year Canadian businesses extend offers of employment to fulfill those needs. Close to 200,000 foreign skilled workers come to Canada on temporary basis every year. Working in Canada also brings you one step closer to the Canadian permanent residency.

Requirements for the Work permit

  • Have a valid travel Document.
  • Satisfy the IRCC that you and any accompanying family members will leave Canada at the end of your permit.
  • Provide evidence that you have enough financial means to support yourself and any accompanying family member for the duration of the stay in Canada.
  • Satisfy the IRCC that you and any accompanying family member are not a security risk to Canada.
  • Be in good health. You and any accompanying family members may be required to complete a medical examination.
  • You are not inadmissible to Canada. In general, it means that one is not involved in any criminal activity or involved in human rights violations or organized crime. There may also be other factors that may result in inadmissibility such as one’s health.
  • Work permit cannot be issued to you to work for an employer who offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massage.

Process for getting work permit

Apply LMIA (Employer)

The employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the Ministry of Employment and Social Development (ESDC) to hire a temporary foreign worker to do the job.

Hire Employee (Employer)

Ministry of Employment and Social Development (ESDC) reviews the application and once the LMIA is approved, the employer extends temporary job offer to foreign worker.

Work Permit Application (Employee)

The foreign worker applies for Work Permit by filling all the relevant forms. Work permit can be applied from outside Canada or from inside Canada depending on your situation.

Aliyy Immigration can assist you in

  • assessing if your occupation needs work permit.
  • filing for your work permit applications.
  • getting the open work permit for your spouse.
  • filing application for the work permit extension if your existing work permit applicaiton is going to expire soon.
  • help you in restoration of the work permit if you could not file an application for extention in stipulated time.
  • getting the post-graduate work permit.
  • preparing and submitting the LMIA application (if you are an employer).

× How can we help you? Available from 00:00 to 23:59 Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday