Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal Sponsorship enables Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their partner. You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada. In spousal sponsorship, you can sponsor following persons and their dependents:

  • Spouse (husband, wife, partner). The marriage must be legally recognized.
  • Common-law Partner - a person who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship and has done so for at least one year (both opposite-sex and same-sex relationships).
  • Conjugal Partner - a person outside Canada who has had a binding relationship with the sponsor for at least one year but who could not live with him or her (both opposite-sex and same-sex relationships) not defined in the IRPA or IRPR.

Eligibility for Spousal Sponsorship

Residence Status

Permanent resident or Citizen of Canada, person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act


You’re at least 18 years old

Financial Status

You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability


You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner if you:

  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago.
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person.

Aliyy Immigration can assist you in

  • determining your eligibility as a sponsor
  • determining which relative you can sponsor
  • identifying all the necessary documentation to effectively represent your application.
  • preparing and submitting visa application.

× How can we help you? Available from 00:00 to 23:59 Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday